We have had so much good news lately that we were not fully prepared to receive harder news yesterday.
The previous tests all seemed to be informing us that they were unable to detect any remaining cancer.
The last test before Ellen’s meeting yesterday with her gynecological oncologist at Swedish Hospital in Denver was a new kind of scan, proton electron tomography, or PET.
And this scan, they informed us yesterday, indicates that there is still cancer present.
So instead of being at the end of the chemotherapy process, Ellen will need to stay in chemotherapy for at least two more rounds. This postpones the day when she can be completely dedicated to recovering her physical and mental strength, because as we know, the chemotheraphy infusions are debilitating.
It is of course difficult for us to pass from the recent days of good news to days of harder tidings. We more than ever will depend on your expressions of friendship and love.
There are very few people who are as prepared mentally and physically as Ellen for whatever the future may bring us.
We climbed Mount Sanitas on Saturday, and Flagstaff Mountain Sunday, both near Boulder, Colorado.